How does a HIFU face lift work?
A High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) face lift is a non-invasive cosmetic procedure that aims to tighten and lift the skin on the face and neck. It uses focused ultrasound energy to stimulate collagen production deep within the skin layers, resulting in a lifting and tightening effect.
Here’s how a HIFU face lift typically works:
- Preparation: The map to be followed by the cartridge is mapped out and ultrasound gel is applied to the skin to facilitate the transmission of ultrasound energy and avoid hot spots.
- Targeting the treatment area: The HIFU cartridge is positioned on the skin, and the aesthetician applies the ultrasound energey to the areas to be treated.
- Emitting ultrasound energy: The HIFU device emits focused ultrasound waves that penetrate through the skin layers without causing damage to the surface. These waves generate heat at precise depths, and the cartridge that penetrates the deepest reaches the superficial muscular aponeurotic system (SMAS) layer—the layer of tissue that plastic surgeons target during traditional surgical face lifts.
- Collagen stimulation: The focused ultrasound energy creates thermal coagulation points within the SMAS layer. This process triggers a wound-healing response, stimulating the production of new collagen—a protein responsible for maintaining the skin’s firmness and elasticity.
- Tightening and lifting effect: As the new collagen is produced, it gradually tightens and lifts the skin, leading to a rejuvenated appearance. The effects of a HIFU face lift continue to improve over time as collagen remodeling takes place. Whilst most clients start to see a difference after around six weeks, final results can take three to six months as the full benefits of the treatment usually become evident over several weeks as collagen production progresses.
- Duration and number of sessions: The procedure typically takes around one and half to two hours when done thoroughly, for the full face and neck lift. Most clients have one session, but further sessions can be taken if desired with a minimum of six weeks between sessions.
It’s important to note that a HIFU face lift is a non-surgical procedure, so it does not involve incisions, injections or anesthesia. The treatment is generally well-tolerated, and any discomfort during the procedure is usually mild and temporary. However, as with any medical or cosmetic procedure, it’s advisable to consult with a qualified practitioner to determine if HIFU is suitable for your specific needs and to discuss any potential risks or side effects.
Before and after a single HIFU treatment.