How does Plasma Pen work?
A plasma pen treatment is a non-surgical cosmetic procedure that uses a device called a plasma pen to tighten and rejuvenate the skin. The treatment involves the application of a controlled electric discharge or plasma to the skin’s surface, which creates a series of small targeted dots or arcs. These dots or arcs generate heat that triggers several physiological responses in the skin, leading to skin tightening and rejuvenation.
Here’s how a plasma pen treatment tightens the skin:
- Thermal Contraction: The heat produced by the plasma pen causes the skin cells to heat up, leading to the contraction of collagen and elastin fibres. Collagen and elastin are two important proteins that provide structure and elasticity to the skin. The thermal contraction of these fibres helps to tighten the skin, reducing the appearance of sagging or loose skin.
- Collagen Stimulation: The controlled heat from the plasma pen stimulates the production of new collagen fibres. Collagen is essential for maintaining skin firmness and elasticity. By inducing collagen production, the plasma pen treatment promotes skin rejuvenation, improves skin texture, and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Fibroblast Activation: The plasma energy delivered by the pen activates fibroblasts, which are cells responsible for producing collagen, elastin, and other extracellular matrix components. The activated fibroblasts release growth factors and other signaling molecules that further enhance collagen production, leading to long-term skin tightening effects.
- Skin Exfoliation and Regeneration: The plasma arcs created by the pen also have a superficial exfoliating effect on the skin. This helps to remove dead skin cells, promoting a smoother and brighter complexion. The exfoliation process also triggers the skin’s natural regeneration response, encouraging the production of new, healthier skin cells.
- Tightening of Wrinkles and Lines: The plasma pen treatment can be used to target specific areas of concern, such as upper and lower eyelids (it is one of the few aesthetic treatments that can be used within the orbit of the eye), crow’s feet, frown lines, nasolabial folds and other areas such as the abdomen or around the navel. By precisely applying the plasma energy to these areas, the treatment tightens the skin and reduces the depth of wrinkles and lines.
Plasma pen is my favourite treatment to perform. I enjoy performing all the treatments that I do, but most of them I just perform according to the manufacturer’s treatment protocol. However, with plasma pen there is real skill involved and it’s incredibly satisfying to be able to offer excellent, non surgical results to my clients.