Common side effects with Fat Freezing tend to be minimal, certainly when compared with surgical liposuction, and in most cases of no concern at all. Typical side effects can include:
- Numbness or swelling of the treated area
- Redness, sometimes with bruising. The bruising is caused by the vacuum action of the cups and varies from person to person and area to area, but is usually minimal.
- Tingling or pins and needles – can occur transiently as the skin warms up again after treatment.
Less common side effects can include:
- Abdominal cramping
More serious side effects:
- Ice burns / frostbite. These occur if the antifreeze pads are incorrectly positioned or of poor quality, or if the temperature of the machine is taken too low. Should you suffer from ice burns, typified by blistering in the affected area, you should seek medical advice. If treated properly, they will heal quickly.
- Paradoxical Adipose Hyperplasia – an extremely rare side effect which can lead to an increase in fat in the treated area.