Shockwave or ESWT (Extra Corporeal Shockwave Therapy)
Shockwave is a technology that was originally used for destroying kidney stones. Although still used for this purpose, it can now treat many more problems, both cosmetic and medical. Below are just a few of the many uses of Shockwave Therapy.
- Improvement of the appearance of cellulite
- Skin tightening
- Stretch mark improvement
- Enhancement of the results of Fat Freezing when carried out directly after a Fat Freezing treatment. Shockwave Therapy has a mechanical effect, like a sharp crack. The shock of the acoustic wave on recently frozen fat cells increases the degradation and subsequent elimination of these cells. Most protocols recommend massaging the areas directly after the treatment, which is what I usually do. However, studies have shown that applying shockwave therapy immediately after Fat Freezing is more effective. E.g. see https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22042359/.
- There is more detail about the combination of fat freezing and shockwave therapy here.
- Erectile dysfunction (ED) treatment (generally recommended for treatment of men for whom viagra works)
- Treatment of tendinopathies including achilles tendonitis (not within 6 weeks of a cortisone injection)
- Treatment of plantar fasciitis
Treatment protocol for cellulite
The protocol depends on the severity of the cellulite and whether the treatment is being combined with Fat Freezing.
For cellulite treatment alone, two sessions a week for between three and six weeks are required. The client should return for a follow up session one week after completing the course and again 12 weeks after treatment for after photos.
For treatment in conjuction with Fat Freezing, Shockwave should replace the post treatment massage.
There is no downtime and the treatment is quick, safe and painless. Side effects are rare, although it is possible to exhibit some redness or bruising post treatment. Over exposure to the sun should be avoided two days before treatment.
Check out the prices here.
- Drink one litre of water immediately after treatment
- Drink three litres of water daily
- Reduce salt intake and follow a low fat diet
- Carry out at least 20 minutes of aerobic exercise at least five times per week to improve the circulation
- A follow up session is required the week after treatment and a second visit 12 weeks after treatment for after photos.
- Maintenance treatments can be carried out once every six months.
Clinical Evidence of Efficacy
Shockwave Therapy Treatment
Before and after photo for cellulite treatment
This is a before and after photo of the left thigh and buttock following 8 sessions of radial shockwave over 4 weeks. The photo was taken 4 weeks after the last treatment although the result continues to improve up to 12 weeks after the last treatment. The protocol included use of a Gymna Shockmaster 300, with a 35mm deactor head, at 3.6 bar, 4000 shocks per session, 8 sessions in total, at 2 sessions per week. Results after 4 weeks: